Sunday 4 July 2021

A bargain too good to be true.

It's been a while since I posted here, but it seems I've have some time on my hands. 

You see, I got a bargain on Tuesday, a HD webcam for $70... and 11 days in COVID quarantine. It turns out, I happened to be in the shop at the same time as someone who unknowingly had 'the VID'*. So for ten minutes I was "exposed" to the virus. 

Close encounters of COVID kind

You've got mail...

On Friday afternoon, 1.5 hrs before I was due to go on a week and a half of leave, I received this text. I thought, no biggie, and rushed out to get tested, and was told to expect a result in 48 hrs. Fine, the extended lock down of my local government areas had forced me to cancel a family event the next day. Just an extra day of hanging around the house.

Beware of the fine print

I wasn't aware yet, but here in sunny Queensland, the iniquitous term "close contact" has a specific meaning. I googled around a bit and worked out that I may be asked to Quarantine at home for up to 14 days. Again I thought, well okay, I can handle that. I of course was thinking of isolation, not quarantine. Turn's out there are specific definitions for those as well. 

When I hadn't be contacted by a Contract Tracer by Saturday morning, I googled a number and rang them. While on hold, I received a call from a lovely lady named Jo from a QLD Public Health Unit. After asking a bunch of questions she explained to me that I would be formally receiving a "Direction" from the State  Government to quarantine inside my home until 12:45pm 13 July.

She went on to explain that quarantine means I need to be locked in a bedroom with a joining bathroom, separate from my wife and kids. If I have to leave the bedroom for any reason, I must wear a mask, and clean everything I touch behind me. Yep - Quarantine is a step up from isolation or lock down that is for sure.

The real impact here is on my wife. She has to look after 3 bouncy kids, in school holidays, while doing everything around the house. It impacts the kids too, my two year old clearly doesn't understand why I'm locked in a room and won't come out to play. My wife has been a super-hero in this and is the real MVP here.

Moving 

My wife was livid but pragmatic as always. After a surreal conversation, my wife  cleared out the bedroom, and I shifted my desk and computers into the bedroom and shut the door.   

I've been in here ever since. So far I have clean the windows, most of the walls, the en-suite sinks, my draws, the floor and the shower. I've decided to leave a little for later.

Always look on the bright-side of life

Its not all bad, I do really need a break and perhaps this is one way to slow down. In a conversation yelled through the window, my neighbour suggested I sent the notice to myself to get some peace and quiet. Asked If I could send him one too!

My boss has allowed me to cancel my leave so I won't be bored. I've got plenty of unfinished projects to work on and heaps to read / listen too.

I figured I'd revive the blog for a bit and see what funny observations I have while I'm locked in this room.

They say ten minutes can change your life. In this case not really my life, but certainly my holiday plans.

Worth it?

* 'The VID' is slang for COVID-19 used by old people trying to sound like young people.

No comments:

Post a Comment